DORLEAC
(.333 member)
10/03/14 03:22 AM
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle

I write that short comment from Nuremberg where I attend IWA International Gun Fair.
I had the opportunity to have a close examination at the new RIGBY "Big Game" offered by the Blaser-Mauser-Sauer group.
To say the least I was extremely disappointed by the general fit and finish of such a pricey production rifle.
I had a friendly discussion with Axel "Kuduae" and even if I know how he is a fierce defender of the German gun trade, I can't explain how such a great company, having on hand some well preserved Rigby "Big Game" rifles of the glorious past, was unable to capture the spirit that make that name a legend.
It's not only a problem of stock or barrel length, no, the trouble is that the newly made rifles appears as an "imitation" –in the bad sense of that word- of the old one.
The stock would have been much more elegant if they had took the pain to study the shape of the grip and its transition to the but, even with a straighter comb.
As to the barrel, it's not only too short, ruining the overall balance of the lines, but it's its taper that isn't fine…and I don't speak about the ill fitted band swivel that's not conical and appears like having been added too late.
The front sight would have been acceptable without its regulating allen screw and the too visible join…
For the action, it's no better than the Prechtl Golmatic and to my eyes not as good as the ones produced by FZH or Medwell & Perrett "Mayfair Enginering"
I will not discuss here about their "London Best" custom rifles that is from another planet, but I'm saddened to see the "RIGBY" name used only as a foil for the "MAUSER" trade mark.

With kind regards from Nuremberg.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Contact Us NitroExpress.com