Ardent
(.275 member)
25/02/14 12:19 PM
What do I have here? 1901 Large Ring, Short (true short) act

I've bought a rifle that really has me wondering, it is a large ring, true short action. Unfortunately drilled and tapped, but that's life and I can fix that.

Specs, close as tape measure and eye will allow, not at home. The markings look odd to me in their cut / stamp, but I've never owned a 1901 either:

Receiver OAL: 8 1/8"
Between Screws: 7 5/16"
Mag Follower: 2 9/16"
Receiver Ring: 1.40"

Ring markings, pretty standard except the date, and only marking so far found but haven't pulled it from the stock:

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER
OBERNDORF A/N

I'm perplexed by the extremely early date, and the true short action combination, and the large ring. I know one large ring short action has been found and proven to be original, I'm not going to count on being that lucky just yet. I need education but had thought the short actions were 1915 and later, coinciding with the .250 Savage etc. So far, I cannot find any signs of weld, it has of course been case hardened in recent times. Barrel maker was of Innsbruck, Austria, originally it was chambered in 6.5x57 (now 7x57, though has to be very short seated to fit the mag length), and I believe the barrel was a take off from another rifle of course as it seems to be later manufacture and the chambering doesn't fit the action length of course.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com