Kiwi_bloke
(.333 member)
09/05/13 04:53 PM
Re: Correct bullet weight for Haenel 9x57mm...

I sold my Max Fischer 9x57 in 2007 so I can't recall exactly if I had a copy then of Gun Digest 1975, that I picked up at a gun show around-a-bout that time, that has an article on German proof marks. As you quite rightly point out Kuduae, the mark 118.35 is on page 193 listed with other gauge diameters being, in this case, 8,64mm, (proof law of 1891). As you say, it must therefore date before 1911-12, at latest, so that would explain the rifle's styling which seemed more of that era than later, for instance, it explains the stock side-panels.

You mention that; "Mauser stamped their serial number under the receiver ring, behind the recoil lug, and on the rear wall of the magazine". I'll suggest the present owner have a look when I forward him your information.

The Landlicht 4 x 81 scope fitted, (Dr. Walter Gerard / Landlicht AG, Germany), had the serial number: Nr 00378. It must have been quite an early one. The 1.066” dia. tube and 1.602” dia. objective were secured in place by Akah tunnel mounts but they did not split, like modern rings. There were screws on the rings, but only to allow the rings to move apart slightly. The scope would have had to be stripped down to get the rear mount off, for instance, to re-blue it.

Many thanks for your help.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com