buckstix
(.400 member)
27/03/13 11:07 PM
Re: Vintage DWM Commercial 7x57 Mauser w Lyman 35 site

Thank you kuduae,

Quote:

IMHO this DWM made, civilian proofed sporter served as a present (or bribe) when it was shipped to a South American country. At least, it looks somewhat similar to a Mauser C-type with the military stepped barrel and front sight base. Though DWM did not offer sporters to the public, they made several hundreds at least, but not for sale."

If this rifle was included with, (or in advance of) a Military rifle order/purchase, would you have a guess as to what country and what year?

Quote:

Interesting to me on this rifle is the set trigger arrangement. The spring of the double set trigger is the long Mauser factory type, not the short V-type of the contemporary Suhl-made rifles. But the set trigger Assembly is mounted into the triggerguard with a separate housing, other than the Mauser commercial ones. The two small crosspins holding the housing are visible in one of the photos.

Do you think that DWM built this double-set trigger arrangement, or did it come from another source such as Oberndorf? Do you think the "small-circle" inspection marks (see pic) found on the triggerguard/floorplate, bolt handle, follower, etc., etc., would indicate that at least the assembly was all at the same time and location?

Quote:

The Magazine-triggerguard unit with hinged, button release floorplate apparently comes from either Argentine 1909 or Portuguese Vegueiro production, both are the same.

Were either of these rifle contracts offered in 7mm cal. to give us a clue about this rifles origin?

Quote:

The load information "2.57 gramm Gewehrblättchenpulver = rifle flake powder / Stahlmantelgeschoss = steel jacketed bullet" is of the type used up to 1912, so this rifle was civilian proofed before.

So this would be definite proof that it made before 1912. (no pun intended)

Quote:

IMHO the stock looks more like a pre-1912 Mauser B one instead of the usual "sporterized military" C type one. The red rubber recoil pad certainly is a later add-on, as is the Lyman #35 peep sight.

I have shown here a picture of this DWM stock compared to my very early Army model C that I have. The grip area is identical, but forward of the triggerguard is different.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com