buckstix
(.400 member)
26/03/13 04:12 PM
Vintage DWM Commercial 7x57 Mauser w Lyman 35 site

Hello folks,

It was suggested I post this here to find some info. It was originally posted on Double Guns.

I just acquired a vintage Mauser that has me a little stumped. It has all the features of a Commercial Army Model C Oberndorf sporter except that it has a DWM marked receiver, not Oberndorf. Left wall is marked "Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik Berlin".

It has an original vintage Lyman #35 receiver site which appears to be original to the time of building. It has added markings for 175g and 139g bullet zeros. In many ways is a Dead-Ringer for a Model C Army. It carries Commercial the "2,57 G.B.P. St.m.g" proof marks that were in use from 1891 - 1913, along with "Crown/Crown N" proofs on Barrel, Receiver, and on the turned down Bolt. It has a red recoil pad with the maker's name removed from the center. LOP is 13-3/4" to the front trigger.

"Made in Germany" after the serial number is one-line stamped on the bottom of the stock. 3 digit serial number with last 2 digits matching on all the parts including the Double-Set Trigger assembly. A "7" is on the top of the barrel ring ahead of the receiver indicating it is 7x57 cal. The only other mark found is stamping of "4 small circles in a diamond patern" on most of the parts. I think this may be an inspectors mark, but not sure.

Every indication is that this is a Professional Factory built rifle as opposed to a Gunsmith project. The 22" stepped barrel also looks factory original and not a cut-down. The rifle weighs exactly 7 pounds.

I've listed a bunch of pictures and would ask for opinions and comments please.

Thanks to all.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com