zimhunter
(.333 member)
15/02/13 03:24 PM
Re: 458 win mag 22" barrel

I have a very nice custom in 458WinMag on an 03A3 action with 03 bottom metal. The stock is a nice what looks like birch with a checkered steel buttplate like the old Winchesters with a widows peak with a steel grip cap. The stock is nicely checkered and has a small schnabel and has 3 crossbolts. Bolt has been low forged(I would assume by Les Womack as the bolt root is marked with his stamp) a 2 position winchester 70 type safety has been installed. Rear sight apperas to be a Remington take off. Front ramp is an old Lyman band with a Redfield sourdough front sight. It has a barrel band front swivel base that appears to be custom and only goes half way round the barrel. Scope mount is a Griffin & Howe 7/8" rings and scope is a Lyman Alaskan. So far other than the Birch stock nothing unusual about the rifle other than on an 03A3 (have only seen one other 458WinMag on an 03 and it belonged to a PH in Zimbabwe,Terry Anders). The unusual thing is this barrel is 16 1/2" and has every appearance of being original. The barrel is marked A & M Rifle Company. It was probably made in the late 50's when they were together making barrels. It's nicely blued and overal one fine handling big bore. I would have liked to use it in Africa. Incidentally my 375H&H Brno 602ZKK and my 416Rigby CZ550 Magnum both have 21" barrels. I rather like short barrels. They are so much handier to just plain handle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com