DarylS
(.700 member)
26/01/13 09:34 AM
Re: 458 win mag 22" barrel

A large muzzle flash can be useful. I had a moose load for my first .458 2" with 22" bl. The moose load was 68.0gr. H355 and a 350gr.Hornady producing 2,290fps. It was accurate enough to sub MOA at 100yards - 3 shot groups and worked very well on moose. During the daytime, you could definitely see a muzzle flash, but if fired at night, it produced a 3' diameter fireball a foot above the muzzle, held vertically.

It's really something to see and 2 rounds fired into the air alerted my buddy who was trying to spot me from the truck, in the dark across a large timber slash. I was working my way back to the truck after the day's hunt and was concerned he'd drive off looking for me further down the main road. The first shot got his attention in my direction and he said the second shot highlighted my whole body to him. I was a good 300 yards distance from the truck.

BLC2 is another good ball-of-fire powder in the intermediate burning range. Of course, there are instances where these would be poor choices.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com