DarylS
(.700 member)
20/10/11 02:52 AM
Re: Brno ZKK 600 9,3x62mm Project

Any time there is metal to metal fitting between the top and bottom metal, without the intermediate piece of metal being ONE with the stock, the stock will split. This is due to the impossibility of a tight fit of the barrled actio in the stock- it is tight only to a moving object - the bottom metal. This cracking happens at the wrist as well as at the recoil lug. Loosness when screws are tight is the reason 90% of Husky's rifle's are cracked through the wrist - the steel tube prevents a compressed wood fit between the bottom and top metal after the wood shrinks or compresses slighlty. It appoears part of the steel tube has been removed and the bottom tang area bedded to allow a hard fit. I suggest the cracked wrist was pre-bedding.

Is the crack though the recoil lug surface in the bedding,or underneath it? Being fired when the guard screws are loose, will crack most any stock throught that area.

The bedding at the recoil lug looks fine to me.

If the crack is through the bedding, I would dremel it out, sprad the crack as much as possible, then inject heated thin acraglass into the crack and use cross bolts through the recoil lug and behind the tang, then re-bed the barreled action. A steel crossbolt could have been inlet into the recoil lug but as the stock is already cracked, a cross bolt, side to side is indicated, in my opinion.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com