9.3x57
(.450 member)
29/07/11 03:55 AM
Re: CZ550 6.5x55-to-9.3x62 ChopJob End Results.

The last rasping and shaping of this rifle really changed the handling a lot. I didn't weight it before/after and I don't think I actually lost that much weight even after sawing off and thinning the forestock but the handling changed dramatically, for the better. This thing is a peach.

Yes, rigby, those calibers you mention would, did and in the hands of a few, still do work well. I used a .348 for some years with good results on deer and bear.

But things have changed here now a lot and we are shooting the fast ones a lot more. My whole county has been logged heavily, with clearcuts everywher, so until the replanted tree seedlings get gup ten feet or more or so, the flat shooters will have more and more utility.

Also, our elk populations are declining so I see we will be more and more varmint shooters, and trappers, in the future. Bear and lion are in good shape, and coyotes and wolves now are everywhere, tho very, very hard to find and kill. Very sad for our hunting heritage.

I have my .264 and .270, the former set up with 140 grain bullet @ 3000 fps and the latter set up with 100 gr bullet at 3550 fps.

This year we have a wolf hunting and trapping season but no one {including the wolf biologists} except the Fish and Game Department {which lives in a dream world} believes wolves will be rduced by this effort.

Daryl; Yes, the modern 9.3x57 IS the Former 9.3x62. I'm very curious to see about a fast light bullet in this gun, too.

And the TUG's...I wish I could get them reasonably priced. Great bullets!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com