DarylS
(.700 member)
13/05/11 01:18 AM
Re: 333 Jeffery

Tia - in forming cases with misc. dies, I look at the sizes of the brass cross-referencing to chart listings of normal dies. This is to find correlations and cross references so I can use easily procurred dies for my case forming. These I can use to make my brass fit for fireforming as forming dies are prohibitively expensive.

If you have a reamer - even just a finishing reamer, you can make your own seating die. If you have the roughing reamer, you can make your own FL die. This, of course, providing you have a lathe and a bar of mild steel (or donation die that only needs annealing). Since to have a chamber cut, one reamer is necessary, you already have what's necessary to make a seating die. The seating die can be used in forming, quite easily, then a purchased FL die is used to finish the job.

If no reamers are at hand, you will have to revert to cobbling dies together or modifying them to answer to your needs.

Shoulders must be in the proper position, of course to maintain headspace, but other dies or parts of dies can be used for the forming operation.

Successively smaller holes in a plate can also be used for simply necking down brass. There needs to be a polished chamfer at the entrance of the hole. A drill press, low speed with a lube like Imperial die wax is used in the necking operation. Some guys use these for converting ctg. to smaller calibres with no body changes and even for pushing shoulders back on some brass.

Cajun Blake on Saubier's small bore forum makes these plates for retail - for around $100.00. They handle a variety of calibres. You could conceivably neck a .5 Browning down to take a .14 cal. bullet - if you wanted - bit of neck turning will be required.

Again - it is amazing how much work can be done with a seating die alone.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com