Supersporter40
(.224 member)
04/03/11 02:57 PM
Re: Suhl style claw mount

Hi there Afro. Beautiful mount you made there!

You are not too late at all. I just got my rifle back on Monday from having the stock restored and today the German claw mount arrived but it is not going quite as planned.

1.My receiver has a big hump to mill off, not excited about that. No real reason why. I made teh mistake of assuming the rear claw base would clear it. My bad.

2.The claw mount I got has two different hieghts. (it is meant for a rail scope) At first the idea was to remove the rail scope and then machine the rail style dovetail onto the bottom of another set of rings. The theory was sound but by the time that is done to even the lowest ring hieght the scope is going to be too high. Now I am almost tempted to try and mill some lugs on the bottom of some rings, copying the original set in order to get the scope lower. Now I am having a hard time locating a ring with enough meat underneath to leave material to mill/fit and also finish up with the proper hieght.

If only I was not so picky and could live with those nice Talley mounts Lancaster already posted above. It is mighty tempting but I know this is just a steep learning curve. It will sort itself out even if I go bald in the process.

The front claw base was soldered on so my plan was to drill it to a standard hole spacing, allowing other mounts to be used if this all goes south. The last wrench in the gear is the hole spacing already in the rear mount is a half hole out of being the standard FN rear hole spacing. Bugger!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com