xausa
(.400 member)
29/11/10 04:30 AM
Re: Smithson scope mount

Quote:

Its really impossible to stock a rifle to be perfect for both open sights and a scope, the line of sight of each is just too far apart to enable perfection for both, unless you are happy with a grappling hook for a foresight and say a high mounted peep at the rear.

It may be impossible, but my Griffin & Howe rifles with G&H side mounts come pretty close to it. The beauty of the G&H mount to me is that the scope rings are virtually touching the receiver, when used with a straight tube scope.

As an old Marine Corps team shooter, I had the importance of a "spot weld" drilled into me and that consideration is always on my mind when mounting a scope. Having said that, most of my lighter rifles (.505 and below) have scopes as the sighting instrument of choice, and a Lyman 48 purely as a backup.

Unfortunately, I am too computer illiterate to post photos, but if you will PM me your email address, I'll send you a couple of photos of my G&H Model 70 in 7X57, which illustrates what I said above. It is obvious in the picture, that the bottom of the 22mm scope tube is virtually touching the open sight on the barrel.

Mr. Smithson tells me that his rings allow scopes to be mounted as low as the Granite Mountain bolt handle will allow, which sounds about perfect to me.

I like Talley mounts, and have several on various BRNO rifles, whose integral dovetail bases make for a really sturdy mounting system. However, they are not the most esthetically pleasing mounts in the world, and moreover I am loath to desecrate the Granite Mountain action by having dovetail slots cut in the side of the square bridges.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com