Kiwi_bloke
(.333 member)
27/11/10 12:06 PM
Re: Bubinga Rifle Stock

Sauer made a model called 'Grand African' that was only available in .458" Winchester Magnum and fully stocked it in African bubinga wood. I'm not sure if this referred only to the Model 80 marketed by Colt in the US as the Colt-Sauer, or if it was only the Model 90 or both.

I attended the SCI Show in Melbourne some years ago and there was one there. It was pretty heavy in part, I recall, because of the barrel thickness, but perhaps due in part too to stock density. I have seen a book of all the various commercial woods of the world that included their relative weights and this might be the sort of thing that would throw some light on the matter. Having said that, extra weight in many .458 Win. Mag. rifles would be no bad thing. The dark wood on that Sauer rifle looked really up-market.

My .375 H&H Sauer Model 90 is standard walnut, "Grand Alaskan" and, without the bull-barrel arrangement, (in fact it has an optional shorter barrel). It handles and points like a dream. I've only come across one 10.75x68, an original Mauser, one of the very earliest ones. The owner has my number !

Contact Us NitroExpress.com