xausa
(.400 member)
27/11/10 01:14 AM
Re: Smithson scope mount

My concern with the height of the rings is that I don't want to have the line of sight through the scope substantially different from that of the iron sights. Having to lift my cheek off the stock of a .505 to see through the scope is just asking to be slapped in the face with recoil. For that reason, I would like the scope mounted as low as the bolt handle allows. Conversely, I don't want to have to press my face into the stock to use the iron sights, which would be the case if the comb of the stock were raised to accomodate the scope.

Moreover, I want to be looking straight through the scope when I bring the rifle to my shoulder. The scope I have in mind is a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5X or something of the same nature (straight tube, relatively long eye relief).

What particularly appeals to me about the Smithson setup is the uncluttered appearance of the receiver top with the scope dismounted, plus the option of the aperture receiver sight which can be fitted to the rear mount base.

I never had a scope mounted on my wildcat .505 and never found that I needed one, but I can imagine that the situation might arise which dictated the use of a scope, and I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, as one of my former clients remarked when charged with unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com