kuduae
(.400 member)
29/10/10 05:07 AM
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice

Quote:

The other rifle of interest in the one picture is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine 6.5x54. This rifle has also led a very tough life and would not have much collector value Im sure, its missing the set trigger, and has been restocked somewhere along the line. So I was contemplating using the barreled action and rebuild it to its former glory.

Imho the guy who restocked your Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1903 did a very good job copying the original pre-war M-S style. If it were mine, I would replace the ventilated recoil pad with a decent solid one, preferably in red, apply a English type oil finish and have it checkered. Examples of proper checkering patterns you will find in the "Mannlicher Discussion Forum and Archive". Proper stirrup sling swivels are available, at lest here in Germany and at Brownell's. Sorry, but I have just given away the last M-S set trigger from my junkbox. But the pre-war M-Ss usually have nice trigger pulls even unset, as there is a little roller built into the trigger lever. On my M1925 8x60 I removed the rear trigger too. I made a longer set trigger adjustment screw that takes up the slack between front trigger and trigger lever. Exact length is just a matter of cut and try. This also moves the front trigger to a more covenient position.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com