taw1126
(.333 member)
29/10/10 02:54 AM
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice

I wouldn't restore that gun in a million years. Every collecting niche is different, but I can tell you that restored Winchesters almost always lose value...even if this gun didn't lose value, I'd be surprised if the cost of the restoration could ever be recovered.

You've got a great rifle. Clean the bore as best you can while still being kind to it (I'm a fan of Kroil and J-B compound for getting decades of crud out of a barrel...patches only, no brushes in my house) and you might be surprised at how it will shoot. The metal will benefit greatly from some repeated cleaning with Kroil; cloths/patches will continue to show brown on them until all the surface discoloration is gone, and you usually end up with a nicer looking, though still patina, blue when you're done. Kroil will not harm the original bluing in the least.

Wood will benefit from cleaning with a good furniture cleaner. On stocks like yours I use a dark Old English product that has a stain in it...it not only cleans the wood, but masks most of the scratches too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com