Matabele
(.300 member)
28/10/10 05:08 AM
I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice

Hi all,

I purchased this rifle from a distant relation who emigrated to Australia. Its a really classy rifle although it has obviously seen some hard hunts in its life. There are numerous scratches and dings in the woodwork, fortunately nothing too deep and no chips. I think it will clean up rather nicely. The bore is not in the best condition sadly and the rifling is eroded a couple inches from the chamber. It appears to be however fully original with all parts having matching serial numbers, and it has the horn forend cap and pistol grip cap, multi-leaf rear sight etc.

Calibre is 9.3x62. It has mounts for a claw style quick detach scope mount. I tell you what though, this gun has a ferocious kick...first time I let one off, I just stood open mouthed for a while, didnt know what hit me!! Got used to it after a few shots offhand though, and in the field Im sure it wouldnt be noticed.

My question though is Im not sure what to do with it. I would really like to fix it up and take it in to the field. So do I rebarrel to 9.3x62 and keep the original sights (is this possible?), or do I use the action as the base for a custom .333 Jeffery as this is calibre/action combo I have always dreamed of owning. Or lastly do I rebore and rechamber to .404 Jeffery, and therefore keep the original barrel?

They just dont make them like this any more and this old gun just ooozes class, I'd hate to mess it up by making a rash decision.

Any advice is appreciated.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com