Grenadier
(.375 member)
24/07/10 01:03 PM
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern

Quote:

Long story short, my preference for my own rifles is the traditional Mauser 98 design and I love my Empire. Yes, I'd prefer one with a fine stick of English walnut and ebony appointments, but it's damned functional in forest green Kevlar.

I'm a big fan of Empires. Then I found & bought the M03, and I'll have to admit I'm far more impressed with it than I thought I'd be.

So...there's the full context of the question. My plan is to put away three same (or very similar) rifles for my little hunters over the next few years, without hanging on to anything extra. Does that long-winded explanation change anyone's opinion?

You prefer fine wood with well executed fit and finish and you prefer the classic mauser 98 design. Your solution seems self evident. Three well made classic mauser rifles with fine wood would be beautiful, timeless, reliable, durable, and will hold their value.

The M03 is the fruit of the 2000 merging of Mauser, Sauer, Blaser and Swiss Arms into SIGARMS. The Blaser influence is especially recognizable in the M03. Will the M03 stand the test of time or will it fall by the wayside like the Modell 66, Modell 77, Modell 86, Modell 94, Modell 96, and Modell SR97 rifles appearing over the last thirty years?

Imagine you are one of your sons thirty years from now holding a 98 based rifle with classic lines in one hand and a Mauser 03 in the other. Which would you cherish more?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com