taw1126
(.333 member)
23/07/10 11:25 PM
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern

Quote:

I have only recently started to really think about the M03. The more I read the more I think it sounds like a very good option.

From what I've read, they appear to be a little on heavy side.

Like I said- my preferences lie with the traditional 98 action, and the M03 is the only push-feed in the house. I've never been one to go for the most modern, technologically advanced rifles (e.g., Blaser, Sauer, etc.) and fully plan to keep using an Empire myself, but I think Mauser has a winner with the M03. As far as weight, the M03 has a solid feel but I don't find it to be at all heavy.

Quote:

Can someone tell me if the fluted barrels fit the standard Extreme/Basic stock (ie if I get the 9.3 as a fluted can I then get say a 7x64 non fluted into the same stock)? Also whats the deal with the alloy reciever? Is this an option and the standard is steel or vice versa?

You'd need to open the barrel channel up only if you're fitting an African, Match, or Solid barrel to the rifle (I've been told that the corresponding gap when a standard-weight barrel is installed isn't bad, but I haven't seen this in person). So a standard weight fluted barrel would directly swap with a standard weight barrel. Fluting is a pretty high-cost option in the U.S. so I didn't even consider it.

The alloy receiver is optional, and it uses a different scope mounting system. I really like the standard steel DSM mount- exceptionally solid and great engineering- but they are also damned expensive should you want to buy another.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com