Paul
(.400 member)
25/04/10 12:22 AM
Re: Lightest 98 Mauser action?

Quote:

Hi Paul,
What sort of weight did you get your FN 30/06 down to after modifying?
Regards
George

George,
I have one of the rifles at home and will weigh it tomorrow if I remember. I think I got it down to about 7lb but it may shade that with the PH peepsight and leather sling added, though removing the rear tangent sight and a pennyweight or two of enamel and steel from the metalwork covers some of that.

At one stage it wasn't shooting too well, so I replaced my home-improved trigger with a Timney and glass bedded the action, perhaps restoring weight. Mine has a bored out bolt handle, from Brownells I think. I suppose you could bore out the altered military knob or, like the FN sporters, mill a flat undeneath and chequer it (if that's the term on metal).

This one was a Columbian Army rifle and still has the crest on the receiver ring. The main thing I like about the FNs is their walnut stocks and none of the flutes, cutouts and junk you find on the German ones.

My two FNs both had attractive grain in the stocks, inspiring me to spend much time on them. Among other things, I carved a cheekpiece and more-defined pistol grip out of the military wood, to make them look like post-war FN sporters. This, plus general slimming down and chequering saved some weight, but then I added length and weight with cork spacers and recoil pads.

Good luck in your endeavours
- Paul

Contact Us NitroExpress.com