mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
16/03/10 09:54 AM
Re: 458 win loads

AR2206 has been discontinued some time ago and I think all stocks are now gone (pity, I had a good load for my 308, now I'll have to experiment again).

I use AR2206H in my 458 and use 72gn. It's a slightly compressed load (ie bulges the case a little) but works well. I use Winchester brass and CCI200 primers. This is below maximum (refer the ADI website for the loading data: http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/) and the limiting factor is the compression. I may try AR2207 to avoid this problem but at the sacrifice of velocity.

I also seat the projectile to the crimping groove and use a standard crimping die. I've used the 500gn Woodleigh RN, PP and FMJ with the same load and all do well. I use the same load with the Woodleigh 400gn PP once again due to the case bulging due to load compression. The maximum load listed for the 400gn is a few grains above this but case bulging is more severe. They still fit in my CZ550 magnum chamber but I figure if I keep using the badly bulged cases they will eventually fatigue and crack in that area, and I want to try and maximise case life (although 458 are one of the cheaper magnum brass around).

The bulging occurs at the base of the projectile as the powder gets pushed aside with bullet seating.

The round nose design (including the FMJ) tends to shoot better (accuracy wise) than the PP since I think this puts the contact area of the projectile closer to the rifling. I haven't been able to group like controlled feed's target above, but I'm working on it. The CZ has a very long throat. I may experiment with a Lee crimping die to seat the projectiles further out (unless others have advice on this?) - this should help accuracy and may even get around the CZ jamming issue.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com