NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/03/10 11:32 PM
Re: 8x60 NORMAL vs 8x60S

Quote:

Another German design, was the 8 x 68 mm for long range work. With its bigger case, it could propel the heaviest 8 mm bullets at what was considered magnum velocities, way back then. ..... The 8 x 68 mm was introduced in 1938 and it was setting the standards during those early years. However, it never gained a strong following in North America, for its elk and moose, or in Africa for Eland. Its main stronghold has been confined to Europe.

The 8x68S is not un-popular in Africa. I think the above comment is more talking about what US clients take to Africa.

Quote:

8 x 68 mm ammo has become scarce though, but it is still offered by RWS.

Plus Norma and many other European ammo makers.

Quote:

Who will develop the next 8 mm calibre? Who is promoting the 8 mm today? Remington? I dont think so, as the one they have is good enough. Will Winchester perhaps go for a 8 mm after all the years during which they never had one? I doubt it. Will any European country? I dont think so, as the 8 x 68 mm is well designed. The 8 x 60 mm is history, as no manufacturer chambers for it anymore, but in my opinion, just as good as a 30-06 Spr. So, it looks like the 8 mm market has become stagnant. It has nothing to do with design. Existing rifles will be inherited by the next generation, who might use them or the youth might even have their own preferences. Once bullets and cases are becoming scarce, the end is near.

.325 WSM is a new 8mm cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com