kuduae
(.400 member)
14/02/10 10:54 PM
Re: Small Ring Conversion questions and Chamber Pressure

The .303 Fraser "rimless" being a semi-rimmed cartridge makes sense: As Fraser intended it to be used in Mauser M93-95 actions, the rims had to fit the existing boltfaces for reliable extraction and ejection. As the .303 British has a smaller base diameter than the Mauser 7x57 or 7.65 x53, turning down the rim to fit the Mauser bolt face results in a semi-rimmed case.
Dons, I was not talking about your's or any other specific Fraser rifle. I just wanted to point to the fact that a Mauser action heavily modified by a "name" maker like Fraser is regarded as a work of art, while one modified by a no-name Suhl gunsmith, who may have made more rifles "for the trade" than Fraser and Griffin &Howe combined, is downgraded as being "scrubbed, butchered and modified with non-original features". After comparing a lot of pre-WW1 Suhl made repeaters, I tend to believe the stocks of most, regardless of names like Sauer&Sohn, Haenel or you name them, came from only one specialized shop! ! Another example: I have seen a Wilhelm Brenneke, Leipzig 7x64 rifle, long barrel, ¾ length foreend, Mauser commercial action with solid left wall, Brenneke's patented bolt detent, fully inscribed as an original Brenneke product. On close examination we found in several hidden places, fi under the magazine floorplate lever, a small stamp "ESHA". So this rifle was actually made for Brenneke by Schmidt & Habermann, Suhl. Or, have you ever noticed a British "Pople" double rifle or shotgun? Well, all the Holland & Holland second grade "Dominion" guns and rifles were bought in by them from another gunmaker, J.Pople & Sons, Price St., Birmingham!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com