Paul
(.400 member)
04/02/10 09:44 PM
Re: Mauser `98 swing /mod 70 safety clues wanted

Thanks RocDoc, we've only got one M98 at the moment and $250 might be nearly all it's worth.

Von Gruff, I like the look of the PH safety most of all; they should be cheaper and some African hunters say a safety on the left is quicker. It's not quieter, though, as it is hard to get a finger to slow its dropping - and re-engagement might be a pest.

ErikD, the Ritterbursch LH version looks fine but would share some of the PH's failings, I imagine. At least you would not need a scope for that one.

Daryl, you obviously hunt in reasonably open country where you can crank the bolt when game is sighted. The man who hunts whitetail or sambar generally does not have that opportunity. Yes, I have had a rifle that would go off when the safety was released, if the trigger had been pulled accidently beforehand. With those ones, if they can't be fixed, I would leave the bolt handle up and hope I didn't lose too many cartridges. From an accident perspective, a firearm with a dodgy safety is a worry but the safest car must be many times more dangerous at freeway speeds.*

- Paul

*Happy to explain that at length if anyone doubts its veracity

Contact Us NitroExpress.com