JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
04/02/10 06:59 AM
Re: Mauser `98 swing /mod 70 safety clues wanted

Quote:

Where did you get the idea that you have to flick a three position safety twice to get ready to fire? Except for the Mauser type wing safety, there's no question of that. With a Model 70, you simply push the lever forward. If you want to use the intermediate position, you have to do it deliberately, not the other way around. With a Mauser type wing safety, when I'm stalking I leave the safety vertical, where a flick of the thumb can unlock it.
Your's must be much smoother than the ones I have tried in the past. I'll have to take another look.

My experience with magazinefloor plates that are that easy to unlatch is that they are likely to unlatch of their own accord and spill the contents on the ground, not a happy occurance hunting dangerous game, or for that matter, any game which needs a quick second shot.
Agree entirely - I actually prefer blind magazines, but that's just me.

I appreciate your explaining gun handling etiquette to me. I suppose I've been going around all these years pointing guns in every direction and endangering my fellow shooters without being aware of it. I will try to do better.
Glad you found it useful!

However, I still prefer three position safeties. If you had ever handled a rifle with enough recoil energy to tear your thumb off if it accidentally discharges while you are cycling the bolt at waist level, pointed in a safe direction of course, then you might prefer one, too.
Quite possibly, but I don't 100% trust any safety, no matter how many positions it has.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com