JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
03/02/10 02:30 AM
Re: Mauser `98 swing /mod 70 safety clues wanted

I agree with Tophet1. I don't particularly like 3 position safeties, don't own a single rifle with one and don't really see the need for it. I like the safety either on or off. If I'm stalking close, I don't want to have to flick my safety twice to get ready to fire. When I need to unload, I point the rifle in a safe direction, flick off the safety and open the bolt. If an internal magazine needs to be emptied, that is what the floorplate is for. If its a blind magazine then the cartridges can almost always be thumbed out individually.

Good gun handling etiquette means that whenever handling a firearm, it should be pointed in a safe direction (safety engaged or not). That means at a safe backdrop, not just away from any nearby person. If you empty an internal magazine by cycling cartridges through the chamber with the safety on but bolt unlocked, the firearm must still be pointed in a safe direction, just as it would with no safety on. A rifle with the safety on is not a safe firearm - it is only safe when the chamber is empty. This also applies if you want to check that all your rounds cycle through your DG rifle - it should be done against a safe backdrop, safety or not. I wouldn't stand in font of anyone doing that just because they had a 3 position safety!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com