JACKEL
(.275 member)
13/01/10 01:00 AM
Re: Finding Oberndorf Mausers in South America

LANCASTER, you are right from the end of WW2 to the end of the 70s we used to have a strong economy and an almost first world country but the leftiest goverments that took over in the 80s left us with a 4 world (IF SUCH ATHING EXISTS)country regarding economy and corruption ( sorry I now these is not the place to post this) so back to te rifle, It was build arround 1904/1905 according to the serial number ( 8153 ) taken from Jon Speeds Book, My Father traded it for a 6.5x55 Mauser he had a the time, believing it was in caliber 9.3 x 62 ( the registration documents stated it so )he also brought 25 reloaded rounds( RWS brass) with the rifle and put everything away in a closet( including a period correct 5x VOIGTLÄNDER telescope with original see trough windage adjustable claw mounts and number 1 reticle ).
Some years ago I got the rifle out of retirement and shot the 25 rounds without a hitch, beeing left without ammo, I send to do some reloads in 9.3x62, BIG SURPRISE as a tried to close the bolt on one of these rounds, of course it wouldnt, so back to the fellow who did te reloads, we measured the original brass, and chamber and barrel, and thats when we discovered that the rifle was in fact 9x63 caliber, so using 35 Weehlen reloading dies, and 250 grain soft points at arround 2100fps I took 2 javelina on december 2008 on my fathers farm ( I send some photos to MEHULKAMDAR since I dont now how to post them ).
Regarding the rifle it bears 2 serial numbers and it appears to have been built by Heym ( comparing it with photos from Jon Speeds Book ¡again! ), it has a Krupp SPEZIALLAUFSTAHL barrel 60 centimeters long, front sling swiwel is soldered on with a small base halfway down the barrel, wich as I wrote above is half round half octagon with a full lenght rib, it has light engraving on the action and magazine floor plate wich is lever activated, it also has double triggers the rear one is a set trigger with regulating screw between them, rear sight is 1 standing 1 folding with u notch, front sight is a brass tipped bead, it has small gas ports on the bolt as depicted in Speeds Book page 123 image 211 the bottom bolt, front claw mount base is dovetailed into front action ring wich is stippled, rear claw mount is bolted to rear bridge of action wich has thumb cutout and stripper clip guides.
As soon as I get home Ill send pictures to MEHULKAMDAR so he can post them.

Best regards.

Ernesto.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com