88MauSporter
(.375 member)
05/07/09 05:32 AM
Re: that's entertainment

Lancaster, You are correct about the '88 action sporters and their light and sleek build.
They are also smooth to operate with the correct packet clips. Some of the recent makes are too heavy metal and are hard to extract the cartridge from. I have several and must alter them to make them function well.
Here are two of my 1888 Sporters. They are so similar that I believe they are by the same maker. The differences are in the butt plates, the bolt handle and the magazine. The one has a limited internal magazine and eleminates the orginal in line box magazine. The limited magazine is only 3 round but does not require a loading clip. The facilitates the over the bore mounting of the scope.
This one has typical claw mounts as found on Mannlicher rifles.
I notice in the photos you have of the Asian Dutch indies elephant hunt, the Euro fellow has an 1888 and the local fellow has the Dutch Mannilicher the same as mine started out as. Note the very pronounced arch to the rear site. Mine will soon be a nice sporter with full stock and a new barrel (original barrel found in surplus).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com