Isopeura
(.224 member)
04/03/09 04:43 AM
Re: Non Mauser CRF...

Quote:

As much as I like the Mauser system, I personally like the old SAKO AIII/AV action the best. I cannot imagine a more reliable action.

One piece bolt, Mauser extraction {IMO more important than CRF} and a VERY reliable extractor. I really am sorry it is gone.

My point exactly! I rate controlled extraction as a "must have" but I don't think that controlled feed adds that much reliability to a rifle action - actually I have seen so many problems due to this feature that I consider it as a safety hazard if action hasn't gone through a thorough action job.

My experience is that Mauser will work properly with standard cartridges (in which it was designed around) but as soon as any major dimension changes, the action basically needs a rebuilding. Sad to say, but far too many "reliable" rifle action is not reliable if put to a real test.

I have few Mausers and FN commercial rifles and they all work as they are meant to do. This, however, has taken a lot of finetuning and not one of them would be reliable if let untouched. Sako L61R, AIII and AV instead are all very, very reliable and they are not sensitive to minor differences in cartridges fed into them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com