RHB
(.300 member)
15/02/09 03:03 AM
Re: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail.

Hi Eagle and thank you very much for your reply.

It has been a week today since the cataract was removed from the right (aiming) eye and the daily progress has been astounding. I have been wearing spectacles since I was a child and I honestly cannot recall seeing images with such clarity...ever! And I am told this will only get better in the coming weeks.

The front bead still appears as a ghost image but this is diminishing everyday and though the implanted lens is for distance, I am told my eyes are relatively young enough (I am 43) to accomodate intermediate range objects, especially if I keep my left eye open whilst aiming. The doctor tells me it will take another two to three weeks before the vision in my right eye reaches its full potential. Considering the above and the fact that I enjoy using open sights and love the way the rifle handles in its original configuration I do not think I will be changing anything. At the most I will get a stock made that is an exact copy of the original and use that so as to protect the original.

In the unfortunate event that I do need a scope I will buy the ATI mount base and a laminated stock. I have ditched the idea of using a synthetic stock.

It isn't important now but herewith three pictures of some configurations I was toying with before I found the ATI mount base.

Option 3b was my prefered choice as it would allow me to use the present safety comfortably and quickly. The scopes shown in option 3a and 3b have an eye-relief of 6". The FOV is adequate with the scope in option 3b. The scout rifle set-up did not really appeal to me, not with this rifle anyway and I doubt Jeff Cooper would mind.

"You have a nice gun there Rustam, set it up well, keep it looking good, and use it."

Thank you. I will. Especially when civilians (barring top-notch competition shooters) are only allowed to own three firearms and are lucky to even have one. The Mauser is my third and after reading all those posts about hunting in the NT, especially Marrakai's, I am coming down with a severe case of doublegunitis.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com