eagle27
(.400 member)
14/02/09 05:34 PM
Re: ATI Mauser 98 scope base and rail.

Hi again Rustam

Following on from your thread re a Hogue stock for your Type A. Had a look at the link you posted, interesting product but gee bloody ugly and would you really want that sort of scope mount sitting on a nice Type A. Okay to use with a replacement stock but you wouldn't want to hack into the factory original to get the clearances for the scope mount. I gather you planned on using something like this product with a synthetic stock.

As mentioned earlier I have mounted a low profile Weaver single base (#62) bridging the receiver (2 holes tapped and threaded) to the small shelf on the rear of the English safari sight ( 1 hole drilled and tapped). The ExR 2x Leupold is mounted in original low Weaver rings (in the "scout" position) with the rear of the scope protruding about half way back over the receiver leaving plenty of room to easily thumb in rounds to the magazine for rapid reloading if required.

With the scope removed the Weaver base "wings" exactly match the height and width profile of the rear safari sight i.e. the base is not a distraction when using the open sights, if anything it enhances the sight picture. The 2x Leupold has a duplex reticle suitable for longer range precision aiming while being just as good for close in stuff with both eyes open. There used to be (maybe still is) a 4x ExR Leupold which of course would be even better for shots over 100m if wanting to use the rifle on smaller game.

Admittedly my setup has required drilling 3 holes in the action/sight area but in my case the rifle is not perfectly original in that it was a Type A 10.75 x 68 opened up to a 404J, so from a pure collectors point of view may not be the done thing. At least the bolt is still able to be used without modification. Keep in mind that other than Rigby, most of the other English manufacturers fine Mausers were opened up from standard M98 actions to suit the larger cartridges and these seem to be perfectly collectable.
I have used the rifle on Aussie Buffalo (numerous) and also a few red deer and goats here in NZ (350gr RWS soft flat nosed projectiles for them) so it is a working rifle and there is probably a few stories from Africa this gun could tell.

You have a nice gun there Rustam, set it up well, keep it looking good, and use it.

Cheers.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com