9.3x57
(.450 member)
12/09/08 10:43 AM
Re: CZ550/VZ24 Extractor CRF: Oh Really?

RIPP:

I read the article in RIFLE.

I like Barsness in-general, but the piece is one of the type...

Repeated, well-worn saws without much attention to the details. Nothing in it that couldn't be got from the webpage catalogues on the various rifles.

But then, would Scovill publish a piece demonstrating that supposed CRF rifles weren't?

Actually, I believe he would.

For myself, not being a gunsmith or gun maker, I never really had a feel for the required relationship between the magazine and the extractor in feeding a Mauser until now. I have a fair amount of experience with automatic pistol feed issues; BHP's, 1911's, STAR's, SIG's, Rugers, Lugers, etc, and while it is a well-known basic that Luger jams are very frequently caused by poor magazine spring power and/or relationship between mag spring and mainspring, I really didn't understand the need to balance a Mauser mag spring with the feed lip angles and extractor fit until I waded into this CZ.

Too bad Barsness couldn't be troubled with actually writing an interesting piece and rather liked the option of scanning catalogues and regurgitating theory instead instead of giving us something interesting. That whole piece had to be off the top of his head. Or maybe off the top of Somebody-Who-Didn't-Know-Much-About-Guns's head.

Honestly, I think Scovill might have prefered a good article over the blah-blah-blah that he got.

Unfortunately, I actually bought the magazine. Money better spent on a six-pack of Obsidian Stout. I won't make that mistake next time.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com