Cardinal
(.224 member)
23/08/08 07:02 AM
Re: Picked up a Mauser M03 Africa in 458 Lott

Quote:

This is a gorgeous rifle! Awesome wood. I got my M77 about a year and a half ago with no problems. I really like it too. Of course its biggest strength is that is a mauser based design. I am a huge fan of mauser type rifles. I have a siamese mauser converted to .45-70 and sporterized. Its a great woods rifle. That is a great rifle you have there, and in a great caliber. I really like the .458 lott! Man 39 rounds in a day is alot, or in this case a LOTT! I shot mine 30 times with 500 grain hunting loads and that was about 5 too many. I was once firing some brass to prove it for use on cape buffalo. I have the same scope you have with heavy duplex reticle in quick detach Warne rings. You have yourself a great dangerous game rifle there.

Yes I was very happy with the wood. Especially since its standard grade and I didn't pay any extra for it.
Should have mentioned that of those rounds only 9 where 450/500gr (IIRC) and the rest was 300gr at 2450-2600fps.
Wouldn't want to shot 39 450/500gr in one evening. Atleast not yet.
But love that caliber. Easy to download and lots of cheap bullets available.

I also bought the heavy duplex.
I considered importing a M77 RSM from the US but the problem is all the extra cost involved. And the US State dept....

ErikD.
Yeah I like the system. But a small downside of the M03 is that its somewhat heavy for smaller calibers. With a Zeiss 2.5-10x50 or similar scope, a M03 in standard caliber will probably weight close to 10 lbs. And a 9-10 lbs 243 win is a little heavier than needed.
But on the other hand there won't be much recoil left.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com