John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
01/11/12 02:46 AM
.275 Rigby Serial Number 14

We recently purchased this original Rigby that we sold on September 10, 1897. This is the 5th Mauser made in .275 Rigby. The rifle was in pretty poor shape and is in the process of being restored. I'll post a picture of the restored rifle when it is completed in the next month or so, but in the meantime, I thought you'd like to see these pictures. The rifle is not for sale.

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
01/11/12 04:21 AM
Re: .275 Rigby Serial Number 14

That is neat to find such an early rifle from the Rigby magazine line. It will for sure be a wonderful little hunting rifle when you've finished.

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
01/11/12 04:44 AM

I do plan on shooting a pig or deer with this rifle when it is finished! Other than that, it will remain part of the Rigby archive.

dons
(.333 member)
01/11/12 06:48 AM

Kent:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Sackville address indicate an updated barrel?

StephenCoker
(.300 member)
01/11/12 06:52 AM

And it appears to be on a 93-96 action too. That's very cool in my book! Also noticed it appears to have had a cocking piece peep sight. Thanks for sharing!

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
01/11/12 07:27 AM

I guess it could be an updated barrel, or it may not have been engraved when it first left the shop and that was put on later when it came in for cleaning, service or trade-in. I wouldn't know without going through 40+ years of day-books. I have the books, I'm not doing the research! The rear and front sights appear to be original and it does have a 'slide-up' peep sight. It's just not in the pictures.

pjaln
(.375 member)
08/11/12 04:48 PM

very nice ,,the birth of the magazine sporting rifle!!....paul

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
10/11/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

Kent:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Sackville address indicate an updated barrel?

That early rifle ought to have the Jamesstreet adress on.

True Rigbycollecters goes for Jamesstreet adress. Too many Rigby rifles have Sackville adress.

Rule303
(.416 member)
10/11/12 07:12 PM

Good find. Looking forward to to updated pics.

k3030AI
(.224 member)
21/11/12 06:46 AM

I wonder…Is that the lowest number Rigby? If so, I’m not sure if I like the idea of restoring it. And no, it’s not because I’m just a stupid American who says don’t re-do anything; that line of thinking is utterly rubbish. I think most fine arms should be kept as close to as issued as possible, and refreshed when needed. I personally don’t have much of a liking for beat up ugly rifles either…but this may be an exception…

To my way of thinking:

If the firearm is truly a one of a kind with something that makes it particularly special (provenance, or earliest known, etc.), then it should be displayed in the condition found and let the condition speak to the adventures it gave its owners. The lowest serial number Rigby that looks like a brand new rifle doesn’t really say anything.

Hey I’m just jaw-boning here; maybe most disagree with me. And that’s okay, I’m often in the minority. If I owned Rigby, that rifle would proudly hang on the wall in exactly the condition it’s in. Above it would be photos of me as the owner hunting with it, just like she is. Below there'd be a little plaque informing the onlooker that this is the lowest serial number Rigby .275; and then something to the effect of; "Look at every scratch, pit, gouge, or dent and just imagine the adventures that took place as this rifle served several owners for the past century. And she’s ready to hunt again, anytime someone wants to take her out." Or something like that.

That rifle is a testament to the practical simplicity of the .275 Rigby. Unadorned, and minimalist in most every way; she has everything she needs and not one thing she doesn’t. That is a pattern for what a REAL sporting rifle ought to be. She’s magnificent just the way she sits!

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
21/11/12 06:57 AM

It's not the earliest example, but it's darn close! We have another one, that is a couple of serial numbers younger, that will not be restored and is in better shape. This one had a fair bit of rust on the barrel that doesn't show in the picture and the stock did not have the original finish. We are bringing it back to it's former glory. The stock will be cleaned and re-oiled, barrel unfortunately needed to be polished and therefore a complete re-blue. Of course it will have a factory letter. It will remain in the Rigby archive, but of course I plan on shooting a deer or pig with it!

k3030AI
(.224 member)
21/11/12 07:28 AM

Okay...kindly disregard my comments then sir. Do you need a porter for your deer trip?

Grenadier
(.375 member)
21/11/12 11:51 PM

Did Rigby actually build a number 13 or would that have been considered bad luck? There are plenty of buildings without a thirteenth floor.

HeymSR20
(.300 member)
27/11/12 11:00 PM

That's lovely -do you know it's history? It looks as if had has quite a bit of use, but also quite a bit of time stored unloved in a damp environment.

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
28/11/12 01:44 AM

There were about a dozen rifles with serial numbers in the two digit range before we standardized the numbering beginning with serial number 1,000. Rigby owns two of the first five. Unfortunately, the serial number for the first one sold was not recorded.

John_Rigby_and_Co
(.224 member)
08/01/13 08:18 AM

Here is the rifle "restored." The is not a complete restoration, just a clean up to preserve the rifle.

tophet1
(.400 member)
08/01/13 09:23 AM

Well done. Very nice.

Rule303
(.416 member)
08/01/13 05:25 PM

That is very nice indeed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com