DarylS
(.700 member)
16/07/21 07:21 AM
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model S 8x57 circa 1925. w/ Wehrmann sight

Quote:

Beautiful.

They don't make them like that anymore.

I often wondered...that generation that grew up with muzzleloaders and pinfire saw the repeating rifle as some modern crap?..

The early repeaters were not held in high esteem on the US prairies due to very poor killing power due to 2 of their characteristics as I understand this "topic".

First, the very early ones were simply under powered pistol ctg. chambered rifles, such as the .44RF Henry, M66 and M73 Winchesters in .44-40 & .38-40.

Later, with the improvement of larger ctgs., .45/70, .45/90 and .50-110 in the later Winchesters, these were hampered by slow twists that would only stabilize short, light bullets. The Buffalo hunters held them as useless, according to author "Frank Seller's"(IIRC).
Other makers did make better repeaters, like Marlin's Model 81 and Bullard rifles, chambered for the government ctg., but seems to me, they also used only the 405gr. 'government' bullet. Marlin came out with it's own .45/70 Marlin bullet in a flat nose, for the tubular magazines.
These rifles still could not match the range and accuracy of the powerful single shot rifles of Sharps, Remington and Ballard.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com