NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/05/21 02:28 PM
Re: John Rigby - London Best, .450 Rigby "Elephant Charge"

Quote:

Quote:

After all these years it's interesting to see that Rigby has finally reinvented the wheel, in this case the .458" caliber cartridge which John Buhmiller created back in the '60's by necking up the .378 Weatherby Magnum, and which Weatherby chooses to call the .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Quote:

Quote:

Indeed, that is one beautiful rifle.
The logo inlet on the underside of the stock looks great. As a bespoke rifle, it would be neat to have the owners initials, in smaller but similar script, below the Rigby logo.
Opening up the legendary 416 Rigby out to .458" is, IMO, the most worthwhile redesign of any classic cartridge. Really puts into the "stopper" class.

+1

Ripp

Correct in both cases, but I believe Rigby did the right thing by lowering the speed a fair margin from the Weatherby's blistering speed of 2700 fps down to a more realistic 2300-2400fps which from folks who use these rifles to still give more than enough energy to anchor their quarry but not overstress the projectiles at the same time. As to operating at a lower pressure well that is a good thing too, dependant on powder type as well of course, ADI powders (Hodgdon being a distributor only) are temperature non sensitive so will not spike the pressure as other powders can.
Mighty cartridges each in their own right, I know which one I'd prefer - in a little less 'flash' outfit!
Certainly a work of art the 'London Best' - too good in my humble opinion to ever go out in the field!

Probably because there is a reason there are a lot of .460 Wea Mag rifke second hand on the market particularly in Africa.

Because it is such a shit over recoiling cartridge pushing bullets at an un-necessary fast velocity. They aren't sniper rifles ....

I would choose a .450 Rigby anywday before a crappy whybotheraby.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com