NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/01/21 03:39 PM
Re: A superb 375 H&H from WR

My Whitworth Mauser 98 has a standard action and is chambered for the .375 H&H Magnum.

It is not inadequate, but does have its limitations.

I need to load rounds to a certain length only. Otherwise they will be load into the magazine. Limited but the rifle is still very accurate so that is not affected. No doubt certain types of projectiles would not work in it if too long.

Also when charging the magazine, the cartridge must be inserted backwards and the base pushed in first, and then the cartridge thumbed in. For some lengths of cartridge.

Trying to insert the cartridges nice and flat at the beginning makes it jam up.

I was a bit sorry for KB after his buffalo hunt here. Shooting his buffalo and emptying the rifle, he was "fumbling" reloading it, and I got impatient and also shot at his buffalo with my 450 DR. I completely missed and hit a termite mound under the buffalo, and made a huge and wonderful loading explosion of dust! The dust ecplosion caused the buffalo wot flee back towards us at an angle past. So I chased it and managed to flatten it with the .450.

I did this as I didn't want the buffalo to get away wounded. And avoid possibly a very long hot dusty follow up to finish it off. Myself if hunting with others and if a buffalo does not fall down quickly or keep falling over, I don't mind other hunters shooting it as well. They are big beasts and can die quickly OR take some time and ran a long way. Better to anchor them quickly IMO.

I did feel sorry as I should have informed JB about the loading the magazine difficulty. In the heat of a hunt, difficulties can arise anyway.

Now no doubt some would say this example shows the inadequacy of the standard action. I say it shows how a good hunter should KNOW his weapons. Not have a hundred "perfect" choices used once or twice. Know your weapon well and much can be overcome.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com