vykkagur
(.300 member)
23/12/20 03:00 AM
Re: Maybe not

Quote:

I am a bit surprised at the comments of it should have a shorter barrel to "look" better! It is a "magnum" rifle. A 25 inch or even better a 26 inch barrel is entirely appropriate. A 23 or 24 " barrel on a "magnum" sized cartridge is a modern abomination.

What is wrong and looks off is the barrel profile and taper. The Mauser barrel suppliers need to pull their accounting heads in and allow Rigby to use more appropriate barrels, profiles and tapers.

As for the stock shape, I would have to put it up alongside their existing Highland Stalker rifles/ To see if it is any different. My guess it will not be at all. And the Highland Stalker with a shorter maybe different barrel profile looked fine, was complemented on NE quite a bit. And a great commercial success.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/Highland-Stalker-300wm-scaled.jpg

A .300 Win Mag? Well that is now a "classic". Yep a .300 H&H Mag would be a nice idea, if you want one, order it with a custom chambering. Commercially the H&H choice would not be successful.

I think you're on it when you say it's the profile. I've compared photos of original stalkers, Rigby, Ross, et al, and their barrel length is comparable, if not longer. The unduly heavy profile (for a .30 of any type) would be more in keeping with a DG round, and those we tend to see in shorter lengths, both for ballistics and handiness in close quarters. Some peoples' first reaction is, "The barrel's too long." Some of us see it as too heavy. The lack of a front sight only emphasizes this.

I still think it looks like a (very refined!) hardware store goose gun.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com