NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/01/20 02:15 PM
Re: 375 h&h

Quote:

whats a good barrel length for a 375 ?

Quote:

whats a good barrel length for a 375 ?

I really dislike medium calibre 'magnum' or large capacity cases with short barrels. They used to b 25 to 26 inches as standard. Now often 24 inches for 'magnums' and 22 inches for standard cartridges.

If using a magnum capacity case, and aiming to maximise velocity by using a slower powder it needs barrel length to utilise the powder. Else you are just expelling unburned powder.

A lot of modern commercial factory rifles now come with 22 to 24 inch barrels. This is nothing to do with ballistic performance. It is for cost savings and marketing.

But my Whitworth Mauser 98 .375 H&H Magnum does have a short barrel. 23 inches from memory. Velocity does suffer, I get about 2300 fps with a 300 gr.

Accuracy is excellent with this rifle. The best groups ever were with 300 gr KS RWS at less than a calibre size centre to centre for a three shot group. Less than MOA is usual, and a half MOA etc is normal. Three shots.

I like the Whitworth's classic English styling.

I had a lot of trouble with mine as the barrel thread was cut at an angle on the barrel, but the stock was made to fit with the barrel at an angle. The express open sights are fine, as they are on the barrel. A scope was a big problem as the centre line of the action does not line up with the barrel. In the end I had custom QD bases made up which put the scope in line with the barrel. Also with a grove in them allowing the express sights to be used.

The action is also a standard length action so a bit of nuisance for a .375 H&H Mag length cartridge. It is inserted backwards into the magazine. he cartridge length must also be kept down to cope with the magazine.

Overall I like the rifle as it is now. It works. In a rush one must be familiar in reloading the magazine which is fine if you are used to it.

The above is all on the NE forums already in more detail. The reason I suggested doing a search.

BTW My Mauser M03 .404 Jeffery also has a shortish barrel. I would need to measure it. As a guess 22 inches? I didn't order it that way, it was an "African" barrel with banded muzzle, open wide V rear sight etc. The short length was just how it arrived. I think Mauser or Myalls had the attitude you get what we send to you or is on hand ....

I know Mauser now only seems to sell silly short length
barrels even for magnum cartridges. Only up to 24 inches unlike the old 650 mm magnum barrels. "Rationalising" the Mauser brand IMO is destroying it and cheapening it.

For the Mauser M03 in .404 I don't mind the short barrel. I won't be planning to use the rifle as a 'sniper' rifle. I will use it for plains game to normal plains game distances. I may try 265 gr projectiles and see how fast they can go and how far. BUT usually it will be 400 to 450 gr projectiles for buffalo, bovines etc maybe elephant.

A cool feature is the removable box magazine. IF I get a second one, I can easily and quickly reload another four rounds. Good for culling.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com