paradox_
(.375 member)
07/10/19 02:42 PM
Rare Vintage Rigby Mauser

Rare Vintage Rigby Mauser in 303 British

Earlier this year I was very fortunate indeed to take pocession of this Rigby Mauser rifle.
Its previous owner after some 40 years agreed I should be its new custodian.

It’s a “ short intermediate action” slant box (some Rigby 303s were built on the standard intermediate action).
Jon Speed states around 100 of these actions were made, give or take, after Rigby requested Mauser make an action to accommodate the 303-rimmed cartridge.

This example is particularly special in that it is in taking down configuration and not the detachable barrelled action examples, or the screw through the front ring type, instead a proper takedown rifle.
Rigby built just 16 such rifles and its anyone’s guess how many still exist, or at least exist in original condition. I know of 2 others only.

The action dates around 1907, Rigby delivered the rifle in 1922.
The 303 were never very popular, due in no small way to the immense popularity of the 275, resulting in limited production numbers of the 303.

The action number is part of the “ normal” Mauser production range. This rifle left the Mauser factory as a stocked barrelled action, with the barrel set up for the take down option. The Mauser number is stamped in the stock reinforcing this.
It is therefore more Mauser than Rigby with the later adding furniture, including the Deely type fore end release.

Do hope you enjoy the pictures.

Best
Eric
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

[image][/image]
[image][/image]