NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/07/19 01:05 AM
Re: 1920s Mauser parts salvaged

In my earlier comments I forgot about often saying how the 8x60S was a popular cartridge chambering in Africa.

Among the non so affluent settlers and residents. The English name rifles we often rave about on NE were just as unaffordable to the common man in 1920 or 1910 as today. So Mauser 98 rifles in 8x57S or rechambered to 60mm were reportedly quite popular and reasonably common. Especially in the pre WW1 German colonies or even after WW1.

I do question what projectiles were available in ammunition back then. I doubt that 220 plus gr projectiles were used at all? Let alone 250 gr projectiles. True or not?

I think this is one reason the .318 Westley Richards had its reputation, due to the usual loading of 250 gr projectiles in ammo, suitable for lion, buffalo and even elephant. WDM Bell's favourite elephant slaying cartridge so NOT the 7x57 or .275 Rigby, it was the .318 Westley Richards with a 250 gr FMJ.

I would have thought 8x60S ammo in those days might have had projectiles weighing around 200 grs. Or 150 grs. Or in that range. Making performance a lot different.

Would love to be corrected with facts if my opinions are wrong.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com