kuduae
(.400 member)
24/06/19 10:09 PM
1920s Mauser parts salvaged

A short time ago, on another thread, I reported buying an old Mauser stock on egun inadvertedly. It set me back Euro 1.- + 5.- shipping, Eur 6.-, about US$ 7.- total. Maybe a bit too much for some firewood.

Alas, as it is a typical German sporter stock of the interwar years, I found some use for it. I cleaned it up and replaced the perished buttpad with one made by GFT. BTW, GFT https://www.gft-gmbh.de/index.php?id=36&L=2 supplies most of the German guntrade with their various products. The Blaser group, Blaser, Sauer, Mauser and Rigby, is among their customers. I applied an oil finish, not yet really completed.
I mated that stock to the sorry remains,barreled action only, of a 1920s Sempert & Krieghoff, Suhl, model "Gibeon" in 8x60S. The "Gibeon" was Krieghoff's upgrade Mauser action repeater, featuring a 1/3 octagonal barrel with full length integral rib and a flat bolthandle. Such "non-military" bolthandles were well liked then on sporters. I installed a Timney trigger and a prewar Zeiss "Zielsechs" 6x scope. So the stray parts are now combined into a quite "period" , 1920s, looking and useable rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com