Tentman
(.300 member)
12/02/18 04:45 PM
Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Kurz Mauser

Outstanding craftsmanship as usual from M. Dorleac, impeccable does not do it justice.

The choice of cartridge is inspired, really the 6.5 Creedmore was "made" for this action (it is afterall really a 6.5x48 or 6.5-250/3000 Savage Improved. Many of the "old boys" like P O Ackley etc would approve I think.

For another "take" abeit a much more modest one I offer my own 6.5x47 Kurz for comparison. When I initiated this project the 6.5 Creedmore was not available. My rifle came to me without a bolt, but after a long wait, a stroke of luck, and the assistance of a fellow from the forum I secured an original Kurz bolt for the princely sum of 11.5 Euros.

Like M. Dorleac I struggled with the choice of scope. I decided that the immediate past generation of Kahles scopes offered the right combination of reliability, and optics in a size that complimented the rifle. As has been noted by M. Dorleac one must make a choice fairly early on in the project if one is to follow the style to its logical conclusion (the rings are custom built to the scope). The advantage of the Kahles 2.3-7 on my rifleis that it shares the same tube as the 4x. In New Zealand we hunt in a very very robust environment, and scopes often fail, so the ability to have an affordable spare at hand is very comforting.

I would be very interested to hear what loads M. Dorleac uses or proposes to use. The factory 6.5 Creedmore is loaded to pretty high pressures (as is the 6.5x47) and I have been cautioned against using loads above 50,000 psi in these rifles. This advice was probably well intentioned but I had doubts about its source and accuracy.

One thing for those wondering, My rifle feeds both 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5x47 flawlessly without modification.

Cheers

Contact Us NitroExpress.com