Tom_H
(.333 member)
12/02/18 12:05 PM
Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Kurz Mauser

Beautiful rifle.
I understand Xausa's point, and many older European rifles with QD mounts of some sort are scoped impossibly high for consistantly accurate shooting. It is very difficult to create a truly classic rifle that is shootable with both irons and scope without one of them looking odd. My guess is that if you are shooting the scope on this rifle, you can press forward and utilize that part of the comb, also made possible by such a light recoiling cartridge.
It is unfortunate that the bolt handle couldn't be attached below the root, probably dropping the scope by an additional 1/4"+ as it looks like the claws could be decreased by at least that much. Unfortunately, that handle would make it look more like an M-70 than an original Mauser.

I have made claw mounts and it is no simple feat.

I also have a Kurtz that I have hunted with, and between the high scope and a difficult to manipulate safety, it spends most of its time in the safe. If I actually used it as intended, I would be walking to my stand with irons (and the safety wouldn't matter) and click the scope on when I get there (and the mounts wouldn't matter).

There are few people who would have built an entire rifle around that action.
I wish you many seasons of successful hunting with it.

Cheers,
Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com