szihn
(.400 member)
27/07/17 12:00 AM
Re: I got reeeeeeealy lucky!

Love it.
So much so that I am in the process of making one for myself now. I am doing two 9.3s for myself in fact. One 9.3X57 (posted on this forum in the Rifles forum) and one very much like the one you posted here, in 9.3X62. My 9.3X57 will be a full stock carbine however.

I think the 9.3X62 has been unnoticed by most Americans for a very long time, but for some reason, within the last 8 months, many hunters here in Wyoming have come to appreciate it very much, and I have had several customers order builds or re-barrels to that caliber (mostly from 30-06s)
I ordered 7 .366" 1-12 twist barrels from ER Shaw about 6 weeks ago and they are all already gone. I need to order more soon.

The 9.3X62 is an outstanding cartridge and seems to be the closest thing to a "free lunch' that I have ever seen in a powerful rifle. It kills as well on most game as a 375H&H, yet kicks less, is lighter, holds more ammo in the mag, and is far less expensive as a rule. Cheaper brass, less powder, and can be made by rebarrelling almost any 25-06, 270, 280 or 30-05, with little of no modification to the freed lips. No Magnum action required! If you start with a GEW length Mauser 98, it's easy to modify the mag to hold 5 cartridges, so you get a "6 gun" for very little money as compared to a Magnum length action. Most GEW builds hold 4 and one, but some will take 5. All will take 5 if you know how to make the modification. If the rifle is complete however, it's often best to leave it as a 4 shot magazine because making the modification to the mag for the 5th round will show on an existing stock. if you are making the stock yourself you can easily make the wood fit the metal, so the 5 shot magazine is perfectly fitted and you can't even see the modification at all. It just makes Mauser fans look twice when you load the 5th round and they ask "how'd you do that"?

Matt, is yours made for 5 and 1 or just 4 and 1?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com