dudleybm
(.224 member)
11/02/15 12:27 PM
A JP Sauer Mauser in 30.06

I wanted to share some photos of one of my Mauser sporters.

It is an Oberndorf action that has a serial number 44597 dating to 1911 and all of the parts related to the action have that number or part of it on them. The the rifle was finish built by JP Sauer. The Sauer serial number is 182681. This number is on the side of the receiver and the bottom of the barrel and parts of it on a couple other parts.

The rifle is chambered in 30.06 cal. It belonged to a US Congressman from Minnesota. His name is engraved in the stock oval. I had thought that he may have ordered the rifle or had it built for him due to his name being engraved in it. And also discussions with his grandson told me that he and his wife vacationed every year in Europe during the 1930s. However, finding that the Oberndorf number dates to 1911, and also the style of the rifle is Pre WW1, leads me to believe that the rifle may have been purchased by him second hand and then he had his name engraved in the blank stock oval. The fact that the makers mark has "Prussia" at the end of it has some people think that it may have been built for Export to the US. So he could have purchased it second hand over here in the states and not on one of his trips to Europe.

It is a 24" barreled gun with Octagon/Round barrel. Absolutely perfect bore. Exceptional metal finish and a solid stock with definite signs of use. The action is Blued. Bolt and all related parts are color case hardened. The bottom metal is all blued. It has Double set triggers and a lever release (non hinged) floor plate.

When I purchased the gun, it was missing the Lyman 35 sight. But I knew it had one on it due to the wood being inletted out for it under the ejector box. I located one and put it back on. I had to make a new front sight that was taller than the one on it and I am currently in the process of working the sight down while doing some shooting with it to get it where it needs to be. The rear leaf sight and original front blade shot well, but the leaf was so low that I could barely see it over the ring on the receiver.

There is a small "J.S" stamped in the wood just in front of the rear sling swivel. No other markings inside the stock. The stock inletting is superb!

Might anyone out there have any idea as to what the Sauer serial number might work out to be by way of manufacture date?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com