DarylS
(.700 member)
31/07/14 07:27 AM
Re: My new Husqvarna 146

No- no - misunderstanding - formed 30-06 cases are usually too thick. 8x57's are perfect and thinner than 9.3x57 Privi's.

My rifle's 9.3x57 chamber is .019" LONGER than a normal 8x57 Case. Have a look at the picture of the cases I posted.

The first one is an 8x57 RP case.

The second is an 8x57 RP case necked up to hold a .366" bullet.

The third is an RP 8x57 case necked straight.

The fourth is a straight 8x57 necked straight case, necked down in a 9.3x57 Fl die only until it will fit the action with a slightly crushing feel to the bolt drop.

The neck/shoulder joint, is .019" further forward on the case that fits my chamber's shoulder than it is on the 8x57 case that is simply necked up.

Perhaps this only happens in the Husqvarna rifles - but it is common for guys here in Canada buying those, to experience primer protrusion when firing them with the normal light, Norma loads.

The firing pin hits the primer which shoves the case forward into the chamber where the shoulder stops it. The Primer ignites the powder, and as the pressure is building, the case sticks in the chamber. The roughly 35,000psi pressure is too light to shove the case back, or the case head back against the bolt, thus the primer protrudes. Sizing and firing that case a number of times will eventually stretch the case above the web, thus stopping the primer protrusion, however that case is headed for incipient case head separation at some point.

I make my brass fit the chamber before it is ever fired, so it NEVER splits above the web. I usually get tired of annealing and loading the same brass over and over for decades until I finally buy some new brass, and either throw out the perfectly good, old brass or as usual end up storing it. I am still using brass in my 9.3x62 that I made up form '06 brass back in the early 80's. Just recently bought some Nosler brass - wonderful stuff, love it.

We understand the problem with sloppy headspace on these Husky 9.3x57 rifles as being due to the fact, the 9.3x57 escaped being listed & thus regulated in CIP rule books. There is no 9.3x57 case shape and dimension listed by CIP, however it is listed at the low pressure level that Norma loads it to - thus poor ballistics in such great rifles.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com