xausa
(.400 member)
12/06/14 01:43 AM
Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55

Quote:

Quote:

good rifle igorrock but you see the barrel is just to long to carry it comfortabel. please take a hacksaw or a disk grinder(better!)and cut the barrel back to 60cm max.
50 cm would be optimal imho!
Actually its very simple to remove the claw mount base with a blow torch or you take the disc grinder again(better).drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver mount is simple and quick with a common hand drill. I can recommand this method!
think you are not wonder to hear that bluing is not up to date anymore. the use of camo paint is very, very simple and you will have realy more fun with your new acquisition.

What was done to the 9X57 "African" rifle which came in my store back in the 1980's was not too different from what you describe. The barrel was shortened to 550mm and the stock converted to something resembling a Type M stock. The bolt handle was altered and the action fitted with a Lyman Alaskan scope with no internal adjustments in a Buehler Micro-Dial mount, making a very sleek, compact package. The owner still has it and still hunts with it. Maybe I can prevail on him to furnish a photo.

I did prevail on him for photos and here they are:

Modifications include replacing the bottom metal with double set trigger with an Argentine Mauser hinged floorplate unit and a Timney trigger, Buehler safety, D&T for receiver sight, filling the void left by removing the shotgun type trigger guard with a German silver engraved plate, checkering and adding a yoke type front sling swivel.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com