Tentman
(.300 member)
26/03/13 08:35 AM
Re: Long time lurker, first time poster!

Hello Guys

Yes Lancaster a great picture, I have hunted here in NZ in conditions not unlike to those in the photo with my trusty blued steel and walnut 98 Mauser (in this case a Model B kurz 250 Savage).

I can tell you that the rifle probably saved my life. Like the guy in the photo I was crossing a snow/ice filled Col. However I didn't have crampons or an ice axe, just a heavy pack and my rifle. The snow had a lot of ice on it, and I hit a spot where I couldn't kick steps into the ice. I lost my footing and started to slide, my only option was to self arrest with my rifle barrel, I used it exactly like and ice -axe and smacked the barrel throught the ice with all my weight. I stopped and therefore am here to tell the tale.

I doubt very much if the plastic stock that comes with a Sako, Tikka, or the cheaper versions would have stood the forces involved, as I have seen them broken form just fitting a bipod or instance (the recoil rips the swivel stud off).

The photo is possibly "posed" as it would be very difficult for the subject to self arrest with his ice-axe in one hand and rifle in the other, do you have any further details as to its origin ??

Contact Us NitroExpress.com