CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
04/04/06 09:02 PM
My Custom FN Mauser

Here is a photo of a custom FN Mauser I had built about 20 years ago. It's a .30/06 on a commercial FN action with a 20" full-stocked Douglas barrel. The wood is an exotic, possibly mahogany. It has pronounced fiddleback figure which doesn't show well in this photo. The rifle is scoped with a 4x Lyman All-American Perma-Center in Ruger rings. Other additions are a 3-position M70 style safety and a Timney trigger.

The rifle was built by a gunsmith local to where I live. He has retired. He built several custom guns for me, most of which were single shot rifles. Not a classic, but not a bad woods gun!

Curl

P.S. I edited to add a photo of the left side.

Curl

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
05/04/06 04:05 AM
Re: My Custom FN Mauser

That rifle looks sweet. It looks like your gunsmith did a nice job. How many whitetails has it taken down?

EricD
(.416 member)
05/04/06 04:48 AM

Thanks for the pictures Curl! Very interesting stock, and looks like a nice and short gun to hunt in dense forest with.

Erik

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
05/04/06 05:29 AM

Thanks, guys. There have been several whitetails, but I really haven't hunted with this rifle that much. I usually hunt with a DR.

Curl

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
05/04/06 02:01 PM

CptCurl,

You're showing off again, aren't you? Hat's off to you and you deserve to with your fine taste in guns.

An absolutely beautiful rifle. Thanks for posting.

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
07/04/06 11:38 PM

Wow, nice rifle, looks like very pretty wood.

JPK
(.375 member)
10/04/06 12:25 PM

Very nice rifle.

I have a buddy who is an attorney who was given a 270w FN Muaser marked "Sears Ted Williams Model" or something like that in liue of cash for payment by a freind. Before anyone laughs, the rifle will shoot factory 150 grain ammo into a five shot group that can be covered with a nickel and repeat this all day, shot by my buddy who is not very experienced with rifles in general.

Capt Curl, if that rifle was a lefty I would be seriously covetous!

JPK

Judson
(.300 member)
14/04/06 08:31 AM

Here is a picture of a G-33/40 I built for a guy. The stock is Claro and the rifle has a Shillen match grade barrel, Kiplinger single set trigger.Neidner butt plate and grip cap. I went over the action and lapped the lugs and other good stuff including a 24 pound spring and Mod 70 style safety. It will put three shots in under half an inch at 100 yards with the right load I hope you enjoy the pictures.

seroadglide
(.275 member)
14/04/06 11:12 AM

Curl,
If the fiddleback is any more pronounced in person, one's eyes would surely pop out. It is certainly in the classic style.

Feel free to show off anytime; that is a wonderful looking rifle.
I like the look of full stocked rifles.

NE450No2
(.375 member)
03/05/06 07:30 AM

CptCurl
Nice rifle. Even a diehard Double Rifle hunter like me would hunt with that bolt rifle.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
03/05/06 11:24 AM

Thanks, I like it a lot (and I'm a die-hard DR man myself!)

Curl

Dark_Helmet
(.333 member)
03/05/06 12:36 PM

nice pieces... mine are not nearly so pretty, but they sure do put the dead on something fierce...

WVFRED
(.300 member)
21/09/06 08:06 AM

Curl,
Beautiful rifle,I've always had a soft spot for full stocked rifles.Thanks for sharing.

Fred

500grains
(.416 member)
24/09/06 12:49 AM

Great rifle!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com